[time-nuts] GPS antenna??

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Mon Apr 8 20:09:09 UTC 2013

What you are saying is that at some point in your signal chain there will
be glass.  Why place the glass where it cuts a very weak signal?.  If you
place the GPSDO outdoors then you can pass the 10MHz signal through the
glass with basically a transformer (with glass between the primary and
secondary).  You can amplify the 10MHz signal to any power level you like.
 Or maybe you send the pulse per second through the window glass using an
LED and phototransistor.   You should be able to choose the point in the
chain the glass is to cut.

On Mon, Apr 8, 2013 at 12:28 PM, Bob Camp <lists at rtty.us> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Is the proposed window south facing? If not, you will need enough cable
> outdoors to get your second antenna to a south facing location.
>
> Assuming it's south facing and reasonable sky view, have you tried a patch
> antenna on / at the window? That should at least give you some idea of how
> likely the signal is to get through it. It's not uncommon to run GPSDO's
> with window mounted antennas.
>
> Bob

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California