[time-nuts] GPS antenna??

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Apr 8 18:46:41 UTC 2013

Hi all an interesting problem you may have encountered, I want to use a GPS
frequency standard inside a building with no opening windows (opening
windows are known as air conditioning in the UK :-))  )
This is part of a two day amateur microwave conference so we should have the
expertise.

I intend to try and pass the signal through a a double glazed glass window
unit (hopefully not metalised) using a couple of patch antennas. The outer
GPS antenna is active so will need  a 5v supply via an inserter. Inner patch
active, outer patch passive to avoid problems of feedback. Main antenna can
be shielded from the "coupling" either physically or with a slab of
absorber.

Has anyone tried this?.... does it work?.....any gotchas?

Thanks
Alan
G3NYK
===================================

Alan,

Here I am on the top floor of a standard house, and get an adequate signal
for today's GPS receivers with simple patch antennas.  One GPS I have is in
a walk-in cupboard adjacent to a north-facing outside wall.  Obviously,
there are no guarantees, but you may get away with just being adjacent to an
outside wall, or getting the puck near the non-opening window (but that may
be worse than the wall).

If it /must/ be a GPS relay like you are suggesting, perhaps for multiple
receivers inside a room, I can't help.  Be sure to place the puck on an
appropriate ground plane - I find a clean, unused baking tray to be perfect!

73,
David GM8ARV
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk