[time-nuts] Low-pass Filter for 5 and 10 MHz

Bob Camp lists at rtty.us
Fri Apr 12 16:24:58 UTC 2013

Hi

A simple way to look at filter stability is to first look at group delay at
10 MHz (or what ever your signal frequency is). The higher the group delay,
the more likely you are to get into the sort of trouble you thinking about.
Low Q / wide band filters are your friend in this case. Band pass filtering
is going to be more of an issue than a low pass.

Unless you are playing with 1x10^-15 at tau=1 sec sort of signals, or really
crazy environments (missile launch), you can get away with some filtering on
the signal. It's likely that the harmonics you remove would have caused you
as much grief as the stability you compromise with the filter.

Bob