[time-nuts] Connectors

paul swed paulswedb at gmail.com
Sat Apr 13 21:22:55 UTC 2013

Rick
It is a very rare time I get to answer you.
The plastic tape holds the rubber end initially, adds another layer of wx,
and in reality is sacrificial to UV over the years. First the liquid rubber
gives up. Then the plastic. Thats a big clue when it gets ratty. Time to
change. Fact is even at that point it will hold for a very long time beyond
that point. Each layer helps to hold things together.

My experience was in the Navy aboard ship. But I have used the method for
many years on the tower for all of the heliax and all other connections.

What I would love to know is what makes the liquid rubber, liquid. It
evaporates off over time (And it seems no matter how hard you try to seal
the container) and that always kills off the can of scotchkote. I will bet
I waste 1/2 a can that way.
Regards
Paul
WB8TSL