[time-nuts] Signal Hound

Don Latham djl at montana.com
Mon Apr 15 06:11:11 UTC 2013

Hi Jim: I have one of the earlier versions of this instrument, along
with its companion signal generator. Although the software has some
annoying glitches at present, I've found it useful around the shop.
There;s a user group on Yahoo, and I think the "factory" is getting
ready to open the software for user debug. There is an SDK set, too, so
roll your own software is possible. The analyzer can also be used as a
general purpose receiver. Interesting instrument. I've not regretted my
purchase.
Don

Jim Lux
> Inexpensive USB spectrum analyzer.. http://www.signalhound.com/
>
> I think it has the ability to capture raw samples, too. (the BB60
> definitely does.)  They have a 10MHz ref input.
>
> The spectrum analyzer has a phase noise feature
> Phase Noise Plot
> : Displays the phase noise amplitude, in dBc/Hz, vs. offset from carrier
> when checked. You must have a span of 10 KHz or less, and the signal
> should be within 1 division of the reference level (e.g. within 10 dB).
> This utility takes about 1 minute to run. It will sweep several times,
> then combine the sweeps into a phase noise plot. The data is approximate
> and is limited by the phase noise of the SignalHound itself. For best
> closein phase noise, use an external 10 MHz reference with > 10 dBm
> power level. To resume normal operation,click "Phase Noise Plot" a
> second time to uncheck.
>

> Anyone fooled with one?  Think it might work as a low cost part of a
> phase noise test set.

"Neither the voice of authority nor the weight of reason and argument
are as significant as experiment, for thence comes quiet to the mind."
De Erroribus Medicorum, R. Bacon, 13th century.
"If you don't know what it is, don't poke it."
Ghost in the Shell

Dr. Don Latham AJ7LL
Six Mile Systems LLP
17850 Six Mile Road