[time-nuts] Common-View GPS Network

Lachlan Gunn lachlan at twopif.net
Mon Apr 15 12:55:57 UTC 2013

Hello all.

Having spent some time working over the last year on GPS time stability
measurement, I'm keen to move onwards and upwards and have a go at
common-view time transfer.  While my receivers are in the post, I have
thinking about my next direction.  One thought that I have had is to try to
write some software that can be used for real-time common-view (public if
there is interest, but I am getting ahead of myself I think).

My question to those in the know is whether they have found common-view to
be useful over medium timescales (say, an hour or four).  My understanding
is that after a day or so the GPS signal itself becomes usable as a
standard, so building a network is probably not tremendously useful over
these sorts of time periods, but looking at such as figure 6 of [1],
common-view should still be useful between a few minutes and hours.  Has
anyone here tried using such a method to produce their own short-term time
scale, or is one better off just taking the simple route and tracking GPS
time directly?

Thanks,

Lachlan

[1] http://www.pttimeeting.org/archivemeetings/2008papers/paper45.pdf