[time-nuts] Signal Hound

Dr. David Kirkby david.kirkby at onetel.net
Mon Apr 15 20:48:45 UTC 2013

On 04/15/13 04:39 AM, Jim Lux wrote:
> Inexpensive USB spectrum analyzer.. http://www.signalhound.com/

It's not that inexpensive. I assembled a 22 GHz spectrum analyzer based on the
HP 70000 modular measurement system for about the same money. The 22 Ghz
tracking generator module is very expensive, but I don't have that. Since I have
a 20 GHz VNA, owning a tracking generator on a spectrum analyzer is not that
important. The 2.9 GHz tracking generator for the HP 70000 series is not that
expensive.

The used HP or similar kit has done most of its depreciating.

Of course, I can see advantages in small, compact units with a warranty, but I'd
certainly want to consider buying used professional equipment.

--
Dr. David Kirkby Ph.D C.Eng MIET