[time-nuts] Z3805A high value PU

Mark C. Stephens marks at non-stop.com.au
Wed Apr 17 18:55:56 UTC 2013

Hi CFO,

I am normally pretty quiet on the group but I have been lurking and learning for the last 5 or so years.
There is an amazing amount of information passed around the timenuts group to depths I often can't fathom.
The knowledge gap between me and some of the people here is just plain scary!

The 2 Z3805A I received have definitely been force air cooled, the way the dust built up on them suggests a constant flow of air across them.
They could have been mounted vertically, the air being sucked out from the top (right on the horizontal).
It would be interesting to know what the 'rack' that they came out of looked like and the cooling arrangement.

I am kind of hoping the Double oven can take care of itself, and the fan will keep the PSU board nice and cool.
I didn't drill holes in the chassis in case we deem it necessary to remove the fan(s) later on.

The fans are proper 48v blowers running off 24V.
When I removed the power switch, I took the input to the PSU board straight to the cannon connector on the back.
I have some young kids that love to play with switches, something I really want to avoid with my GPSDO ;)
I also took 2 more wires out of the Cannon connector (+ & - 24v) to a flying lead socket to plug the fan in.

I have kept all the bits safe so I can restore it to the original condition I received it in, just in case :)

mark