[time-nuts] Remote GPS Oscillator Steering

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX N2469R caf at omen.com
Thu Apr 18 17:18:57 UTC 2013

On 04/18/2013 09:23 AM, Hal Murray wrote:
> iain at g7iii.net said:
>> Oh I know it can handle it, I was trying to avoid a nice 10MHz signal on an
>> unshielded conductor smack on the Amateur Radio 30m band :) It's more RF
>> here than Time/Frequency, and if I can avoid clashes, so much the better...
> Has anybody measured the radiation from various types of coax and/or twisted
> pairs?
>
> It would be interesting to see how they compare and/or how they compare to
> things like unterminated unused outputs or emissions from gear with the lid
> off and things like that.

In my experience, unshielded twisted pair ethernet cables are
quite noisy.  The inexpensive coax used for ethernet leaks
enough that the 10 MHz from my Thunderbolt wiped out WWV
on 10 MHz.

I replaced the cheap coax with instrumentation grade cables
and WWV reception is much better.

I replaced all the ethernet cables with shielded cables and the
RFI and EMC problems pretty much disappeared.

--
      Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX   caf at omen.com   www.omen.com