[time-nuts] OT: Far-out space navigation from sideways satnav signals

Peter Monta pmonta at gmail.com
Fri Apr 19 18:47:12 UTC 2013

Hi Hal,

> Why are X-Ray pulsars better than radio pulsars for navigation?

My impression is that it's easier to manage all-sky coverage at x-ray with
a small spacecraft package (I think millisecond pulsars generally emit at
both microwave and x-ray).  Also there's some interstellar scintillation at
microwave frequencies, which would hurt short-term timing performance
(something like the ionosphere's effect on terrestrial GNSS).

Cheers,
Peter