[time-nuts] FE-5680A help/identification (again!)

Ed Palmer ed_palmer at sasktel.net
Sat Apr 20 02:33:45 UTC 2013

Hi Skip,

You might have seen my reference to the small board in the 'variation 2'
FE-5680.  I looked at the signal on the orange lead and found only about
2.02 Vdc.  The orange lead goes to the output of a D-A converter on the
small board.  So, on a hunch, I used a 10-turn pot to put 0-5V into the
main board at the point where the orange lead connected.  My hunch was
good.  It's the analog tuning input.  Range on my unit is about 3e-9 for
0-5 volts input.  Higher voltage = higher frequency.

So I know *what* the board is doing, but I can't imagine *why*.  Is it
nothing more than temperature compensation?  Is it just a factory
calibration adjustment?  Are they attempting to compensate for the Rb
aging by following some model and gradually changing the frequency of
the DDS or the C-field?  Maybe a model, even an inexact one, helped them
to meet a more stringent aging spec.  No clue. You'd have to watch the
output voltage of the small board and track it over time to see how or
if it changes.

I didn't attempt to talk to the board so I can't help you there.

Ed