[time-nuts] T-Bolt Mon and Windows 7

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Sun Apr 21 11:19:17 UTC 2013

Hi Dick

I've tried it via a Prolific USB to serial adapter, running as  COM4, and
as far as I can tell, the answer is yes---ish:-)

Both TboltMon version 2.60 and Trimble GPS monitor 1.60, seem to be  ok
monitoring a Thunderbolt under Win7 Ultimate 32 bit, until Windows pulls  its
old trick and decides the data is coming from a serial mouse, in this case a
serial ballpoint mouse.
Disabling the mouse restores operation, and I can once more switch between
the two Trimble programs ok, but online comments suggest that a permanent
fix  for this problem, which has been around for years, seems to be far more
elusive under Win7 than with previous versions.

Although I'm using a USB to serial converter, as this Win7 laptop has  no
actual serial ports, previous experience with the WinXP rackmount  kit I
normally use, where I have fixed it permanently, suggests the problem  is just
as likely to occur with "proper" serial ports.

Just checked Lady Heather and she's also running fine under Win7 using the
same setup.

Regards

Nigel
GM8PZR