[time-nuts] OCXO Vref (in)stability plot

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Sun Apr 21 20:47:56 UTC 2013

Ok, this surprised me a LOT!

I used my HP3458A to measure the stability of the Vref output from
an IsoTemp OCXO-107 and the results were anything but stellar:

The OCXO's Vref has 18 microVolt RMS noise

For comparison my HP6626A power-supply has 2 microVolt RMS noise.

Obviously, the Vref only has to be good enough to not be a relevant
source of noise when used on the EFC input.

If the OCXO has a EFC sensitivity of 10PPM/Volt, then a microVolt
more or less means a 1e-11 change in frequency.

The Vref is also quite sensitive to the OCXO supply voltage, but
since it was powered by the HP6626A, that's not where the noise
comes from.

Plot attached...