[time-nuts] usno tours

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 22 20:34:22 UTC 2013

On 4/22/13 12:26 PM, Eric Fort wrote:
> Thanks, figured someone who reads this list may be connected there...
> not like precision timekeeping is a huge community.
>
> Eric
>
> On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 2:53 PM, Magnus Danielson
> <magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org> wrote:
>> On 03/17/2013 10:47 PM, Eric Fort wrote:
>>>
>>> Would anyone on this list know the present status of tours at usno DC (for
>>> may2013) with the present state of congress.  I'll be in DC the first week
>>> of May and would really like to see the lab and learn more about
>>> astronomical and atomic timekeeping activities there.
>>

>> I would ask USNO this question.
>>
>> I too would love the same oppertunity.

http://www.usno.navy.mil/USNO/tours-events/tour-information

CURRENT TOUR STATUS

We are currently not accepting any new requests for tour reservations
due to the pending effects of the Federal sequestration beginning on or
about March 1.  In the event of sequestration all tours beginning in
April will be cancelled due to staff furloughs.

---
I note that JPL just cancelled/postponed its annual open house for the
same reason.

If someone who works at USNO is willing to take you around, that's
another matter, but bear in mind that visit requests often take several
days (if not a week or more) to process for most government labs.