[time-nuts] OT: eBay Contact Congress

J. Forster jfor at quikus.com
Tue Apr 23 14:22:02 UTC 2013

I'm inclined to think it is genuine, but:

As part of their security protocol, eBay tells you to check 'My Messages'
by logging onto your account from the eBay home page.

The 'Contact Congress' message is not in 'My Messages'.

It concerns me that eBays message FAILS the authentication test they
themselves advocate. There may be a legal reason for this in the corporate
lobbying laws. I don't know.

My concern has never been about the politics of the thing, but only about
whether it is genuine or fake.

I am cautious, and within hours of the Boston Marathon Bombing, I was
getting spam/phishing/malware emails about it. It is certainly possible
that some miscreant is exploiting the news about eBay's lobbying attempt
the same way.

YMMV,

-John