[time-nuts] S743 Marketplace Fariness Act

DaveH info at blackmountainforge.com
Wed Apr 24 07:04:50 UTC 2013

And the funny thing is that there is already legislation in place to deal
with this.

If an online vendor has a corporate office, a warehouse or a brick and
mortar retail store in State XX (that has a sales tax), AND if an online
customer places an order to be shipped to an address in State XX, the sales
tax for State XX has to be charged.

I live in WA State and buy online from Amazon (corporate headquarters as
well as warehouse) and I get charged the WA State sales tax.  I buy online
from Fry's (just a brick and mortar store) and get charged sales tax. Parts
Express (great company) - no presence in WA State so no sales tax.

If I walked into Parts Express's corporate headquarters in Ohio and
purchased some stuff, I could show my WA State drivers license and be exempt
from the Ohio sales tax. Why is this any different from an online purchase?

Starve the beast -- it is doing nothing good for us.