[time-nuts] S743 Marketplace Fariness Act... and freq standard box

J. Forster jfor at quikus.com
Wed Apr 24 11:39:08 UTC 2013

Peter,

I believe you are correct about the $1M per year trip point, but would
remind you that this is a very slippery slope.

When the Income Tax was originally enacted, very, very few were impacted.
That is no longer so.

The Alternative Minimum Tax was enacted to hit those who have saved and
invested already taxed once money, and hit them again. Yet over the years
the AMT has hit more and more in the middle class, so Congress has had to
enact annual 'fixes'.

The Capital Gains tax is on assets that have increased in value, but there
is no provision to index the CG taxes for inflation. So, the fed inflated
the currency, and taxes virtual growth.

This is fundamentally not about 'fairness'. It is all about government at
all levels wanting more and more money, ultimately to buy votes, by
playing Santa Claus with other peoples' money.

The 'fairness' argument is all about the politics of envy and getting
re-elected.

YMMV,

-John

==================

> What I read is that it is for merchants who exceed a million dollars a
> year.
> So, if it is determined it is each seller that is responsible, it would
> only
> apply to those doing greater than a million in sales (not many).  If
> however it
> is determined that it is ebay who is the "merchant," then they would have
> handle the tax collection and payment and it would simply be added to the
> final
> auction and maybe plus shipping amount (depending on the state and what is
> taxable).  This is the most likely scenario.  It is more complex than just
> what
> tax rate to use as each state taxes different things.  For example, some
> states
> do not tax clothing, others do, and some others only if the item exceeds
> some
> cost.  As I mentioned in another message there are third party services
> which
> keep track of all this already.  For a site like ebay it is complex but
> not
> daunting task to set that up.
[snip]