[time-nuts] Trimble ACE Replacement?

Jason Rabel jason at extremeoverclocking.com
Wed Apr 24 20:27:37 UTC 2013

I'm sure some of you noticed the flood of Tymserve 2100's on eBay lately, they were selling in lots of 3-4 (or more)! I managed to
pick up a few (like I really needed them) and proceeded to add in the GPS module to make them a little more useful.

I haven't seen any Trimble ACE receivers on eBay in a while. I was doing a little research and while the SveeSix seems the same
physical size and pinout, its COM settings do not appear to be adjustable (I could be wrong), but even the simple act of switching
between like TSIP & NMEA requires re-flashing the receiver, there was no mention of changing the comport settings in the
documentation.

So I started looking at the Lassen modules since that came after the ACE line. They too appear to be the same pinout, however their
physical size is different. They come in both 5v & 3.3v flavors, and I managed to find someone on eBay selling a 5v one.

My question is, has anyone tried to get a TS2100 to communicate with a different receiver than the ACE line? Kind of curious what
works and what doesn't.

I did manage to get an Oncore UT+ off eBay for 1 cent (plus $8 shipping)... Can't beat that!