[time-nuts] How quartz crystals are (were) fabricated

Alan Melia alan.melia at btinternet.com
Thu Aug 1 18:53:38 UTC 2013

Hi Charles yes I didn't actually run the video....was saving it for later
:-))  this suggests bond disruption is being used. Like  musical string if
you stiffen the  material the resonant frequency should drop. One can only
guess this is what might be happening. The lab I was working in (though not
on crystals) was producing high quality standards for BC and telecoms, and
was part of the then Post Office Engineering Department of Research branch.
I never heard of that method (X-rays) for trimming crystals mentioned. This
is probably because they were not a bulk manufacturer. The more usual method
they used was to plate for a little longer in the vacuum evaporation
stage.....easy on one-offs :-)) the WWII 10XJ and FT243 (or was it FT241?)
were not plated and you can only raise their frequency by lapping. The Ham
method with soft lead pencil (or drafting ink) would not be allowed!.

Alan