[time-nuts] 5MHz x 10MHz

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Mon Aug 5 01:53:34 UTC 2013

wa1zms at att.net said:
> In a talking to Charles Wenzel about this very topic some 13 yrs ago, I
> liked it when he said sometimes it comes down to the "quartz-to-crud ratio"
> of the crystal that makes all the difference for a given crystal frequency.

Neat.  Thanks.

How much crud is in a typical modern crystal?

How much was in natural quartz, say from WW II era?

I assume modern crystals are made from quartz grown in a lab using techniques similar to what the semiconductor industry uses.  Are we talking ppm or ppb?

Does anybody have any long term stability data on old crystals vs modern crystals?  Yes, that's not very specific.  By old, I'm remembering the crystals I saw as a kid (late 1950s).  It was just a few screws to open the package.  I expect the ARRL handbook had recipes for adjusting the frequency but my copy from those days is long gone.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.