[time-nuts] Radio Shack GPS Module

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Aug 5 03:59:06 UTC 2013

The Adafruit breakout board looks very appealing.  I also already own
several Trimble Resolution T's and something I've been wondering about for
a while is whether there is any downside, difficulties or problems with
mounting a bare GPS receiver board inside a computer case.  If there are
problems, would enclosing it in a shielded enclosure ameliorate those
problems?  Has anyone on the list done this?

    Thanks,
       Thomas Valerio

Thomas,

Here's how I mounted mine:

  http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/RaspberryPi-2-with-Adafruit-GPS.jpg

Naturally, inside a metal case would stop GPS signals getting through unless
you were using an external antenna, but you can get SMA adaptors for the
Adafruit module allowing connection of an external, powered antenna.  I've
not used that myself, as I work on the second floor of a 2-storey building,
and placing the GPS towards the upper part of the room allows enough signal
for good timekeeping in this location.

I haven't tried mounting inside a computer case, but being mounted so close
to the Raspberry Pi  module with a plastic case in the photo above must
subject the GPS unit to a similar level of EMI as it would see inside a
typical computer case, and I've seen no problems with three Raspberry Pi
cards with similar mountings.  I therefore expect there would be little
issue inside a typical PC.  Well worth a try for a neat arrangement!

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk