[time-nuts] Low cost GPS for model aircraft

M. Simon msimon6808 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 5 13:07:21 UTC 2013

Jim,

My plan is to make the  "10 MHz clock + processor" separate from the GPS module. Ultimately any GPS pps signal should lock the clock.

This is a work in process and may go through several iterations of hardware. The micro has a clock out pin so I may add another BNC + 50 ohm driver to use that. In fact I will incorporate that in the first run. Depending on how it impacts board design. Thanks for the nudge. That would give 50 MHz divided by 1 to 256. The 50 ohm driver uses a '245 with 8 resistors so it will handle a fully loaded 50 ohm line - it is powered by 5V so you can get 2.5 V on a fully loaded cable - assuming your power supply will handle the current.

The micro and its real time operating system are in their final stage of development. What would be new for the proposed board is just the addition of the DAC + reference to control the oscillator. The current version just uses a trimpot. And since the offering (both versions) will be bare board you don't have to buy the TCVCXO if you didn't need it. You could substitute a 50ppm or 10 ppm packaged oscillator. The clock pin outs/footprint  is the same. I will bring out the DAC voltage suitably buffered for those who want to control something else. But a lot of this is TBD for now. All I'm going to commit to is control of the TCVCXO. For now.

And of course I will need to separate the digital side from the analog side as much as possible. But as I said a work in progress. When I do make boards available they will be available indefinitely. Basically the layout goes into a catalog.

The trouble with electronics is that nothing lasts. Production wise. This has its good and bad points.  I have a very nice stock of 1/4 W 5% resistors that I rarely use since I went to 0603 (mostly) 1% resistors. You can get those for $3 a thousand. I only use 1% resistors in the low level sections of my designs these days. In fact for surface mount - unless you need power resistors - 5% is going out of style. And for prototyping I only do that on PCBs. I use http://oshpark.com/  who charges $5 a sq in for a stack of three. $1.666 per sq in. on a per board basis. About the best price out there and the open areas of the board (holes, pads) are gold plated. Their motto is "We're fab" and they are. Turn around runs two weeks +/-. They don't charge for shipping. Unless you want speed. OSH Park handles my catalog.

Simon

Engineering is the art of making what you want from what you can get at a profit.