[time-nuts] SDR Radio Opinion ?

Bob Stewart bob at evoria.net
Mon Aug 5 21:33:18 UTC 2013

Google DVB-T and RTL2832.  I bought a device about some months ago for about $20.  It does actually work as advertised, though this one looks nicer than the one I got.  Apparently the guy who was writing the linux driver for these (Antti Polisaari of Finland) noticed a feature that allowed it to be turned into a broadband receiver.  It can be commanded to output an 8 bit I/Q stream at up to 2,000,000 (more actually) samples per second from 64MHz to around 1.7GHz.   There is an article about them in the Jan 2013 QST.  There's at least one guy on ebay selling HF converters for them.

Bob - AE6RV