[time-nuts] SDR Radio Opinion- Next Question

Bob Stewart bob at evoria.net
Mon Aug 5 22:18:52 UTC 2013

Just be aware that they're not wideband units.  The sampling rate defines the bandwidth of any sample, and the fact that it's 8 bits limits the resolution.  So, you can essentially look at up to a 2MHz slice anywhere you want within 64MHz to 1.7GHz.  Of course, you could move your center frequency to move the window.  As to whether they have a flat response?  I can't tell you.  If you get a European consumer unit, you'll probably get one with a Belling-Lee connector.  I don't know if anyone has written SA software for one, yet.  When I was playing with mine, SDRSharp was pretty much the software standard.  I've never tried to use mine for anything other than an FM radio.  If I had a B-L adapter I'd be able to check some samples from my Tracking Generator, but it's not something I've ever looked into.  Look on ebay for "rtl2832" to find out what's most readily available

Bob