[time-nuts] Rb standard questions

Yuri Ostry yuri at ostry.ru
Mon Aug 12 19:21:43 UTC 2013

Hello,

Tuesday, July 30, 2013, 3:03:57, Bob Camp wrote:

>> 3) what is the typical life of such a unit?

B> If it's run without a heat sink, about two years.

B> If it's power off on the shelf,  many decades.

There was another "aging factor" mentioned in some documents that
circulate around the net. Helium can diffuse from atmosphere through
glass walls ans change buffer gas composition inside the cells.

Run well cooled, >> 10 years for 90% of the units

As I can see, my FRS-C still works well after approx 10 yrs on a cell
site working 24/7 and 5 yrs sitting on the shelf. But lamp voltage
that was recorded 5 yrs ago differs from the one that I measured
when I put it back to work. It is lowered little bit.

73!
Yuri
UA3ATQ/KI7XJ
--