[time-nuts] PTPv2 grandmaster with a Z3805A?

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Tue Aug 20 20:16:00 UTC 2013

In message <5213B89D.4070106 at pobox.com>, David Gravereaux writes:

>I guess I can't go with TSC on this hardware.

You never should, for precision timekeeping, for a host of technical
hacks, all outside your control.

The most interesting hardware for precision timekeeping these days
are the Intel 82599 10Gbit/s ethernet controller, which has support
for PTP packet stamping *AND* support for timing electrical signals
using the same free-running counter as used for the PTP packets.

It's only somewhat semi-documented in the 1000 page data-sheet,
but it's the best chip there is right now, and a board will
only set you back a few hundred USD.