[time-nuts] PTPv2 grandmaster with a Z3805A?

Wojciech Owczarek wojciech at owczarek.co.uk
Tue Aug 20 22:16:32 UTC 2013

On 20 August 2013 21:16, Poul-Henning Kamp <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:

> You never should, for precision timekeeping, for a host of technical
> hacks, all outside your control.

I brought up TSC only as a, to me, better alternative to HPET / ACPI.

Of course it's not good enough for serious timekeeping, no "mostly
software" clock is.

> support for timing electrical signals
> using the same free-running counter as used for the PTP packets.

Sounds interesting. Can you elaborate? Does the card then run its own clock?

but it's the best chip there is right now

OK, different price range, but do you think it trumps the likes of
SolarFlare's 10GE
adapters with dedicated OCXOs, or copper-only cards with OCXOs like
Oregano's,
or other dedicated timing NICs? What makes it stand out so much - is it
just that
it supports all that's needed without being marketed as a precision timing
NIC?

Best regards
Wojciech
--