[time-nuts] Halcyon OFS-1 Circuit Diagram or Manual?

Alan Melia alan.melia at btinternet.com
Thu Aug 22 17:41:47 UTC 2013

Hi Mike I have had a Halcyon OFS-1 for 20 years and been looking for a
manual/circuit during that time. Mine was bought from Halcyon and came with
an A4 sheet of paper !....Not alignment instructions!! I have been looking
for detail ever since. I would certainly be interested to see a copy of the
alignment instructions.

I very nearly ripped mine apart several years ago when I found the output
phase "breathing" with a period of about 100 seconds. After double checking
my local standards and using another receiver, I contacted Peter Whibberly
at NPL and they had not seen it because they integrate over a much longer
period to get parts in 10^12. I was put in touch with an engineer at
Droitwich, he looked but didnt find anything wrong (they did not have an
off-air standard!) However the problem improved at the time of the
inpection -))  Subsequently I got an email from Peter about 6 weeks later
saying that the synthersizer had failed completely !!  After the repair the
phase drift against my local standard was much better and probably at the
limit of short term daytime off-air measurement....I couple of parts in
10^11

My case is a cream textured finish in two identical parts. The rear panel
has a ferrite antenna hinged to it, though an expernal antenna can be used.
I believe some of the later units locked an ovened oscillator and contained
a dil-switch set synthersizer to generate quasi-synch carrier frequencies.
It may be you have an OFS pcb out of one of these that has been recased??

Best Wishes
Alan
G3NYK