[time-nuts] Yb clock - stability estimation procedure?

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Sun Aug 25 19:02:12 UTC 2013

Hi Frank,

Correct, there is the underlying assumption that common mode [frequency] drift isn't present. That's been true for Cs standards (and the definition of the SI second) as well. If you can't prove it wrong, at least you can try to measure the lower bounds of drift, if such drift does occur.

This is one reason why there have been so many clock comparisons the past decade. National labs love to compare clock type X against clock type Y to see if they can be the first to detect something strange in the universe. For example, it might be the case that hydrogen-based clocks drift at a different rate than Cs or Hg or Al or Ca or Yb, etc. Google for phrases like Fine Structure Constant Variation or Variations in Fundamental Constants. Some papers and talks to get you started:

Improved Limits on Variation of the Fine Structure Constant and Violation of Local Position Invariance
http://tf.nist.gov/general/pdf/2238.pdf

Laboratory Tests on Variations of Fundamental Constants
https://www.kvi.nl/ssp2012/material/36-peik/slides/36-1-SSP-Groningen-Peik-2.pdf

New limits on variation of the fine-structure constant using atomic dysprosium
http://arxiv.org/pdf/1304.6940v1.pdf

Searching for temporal variation of the fine-structure "constant" in radio-frequency transitions of Dy
http://www.int.washington.edu/talks/WorkShops/int_07_1/People/Budker_D/Budker.pdf

/tvb