[time-nuts] de Witte's Experiment

Dr. David Kirkby drkirkby at gmail.com
Tue Aug 27 16:47:00 UTC 2013

On 27 August 2013 16:25, Steven Kluck <skluck_98 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I am new to this group, and my main interest is time keeping/ time signal reception, but all of this frequency talk is catching my interest.
>
> If
>  I had a couple of extra cesium frequency references, I would want to
> try Roland de Witte's experiment.  Simple and fascinating!  Position one
>  clock about 1500 meters to the east of the other, set up a long
> (temperature controlled) coax cable between them, and compare phase from
>  the 10MHz outputs as the earth turns.  The results were enough to make
> de Witte a fairly unpopular gentleman until his death.  --Steven Kluck

I would imagine temperature controlling a long cable woujld be no easy
task, although I guess one needs to define the accuracy needed.

Maybe if the cables were burried sufficiently deep, there would be no
short term changes of temperature, since the temperature underground
is more contant than on the surface of the earth.

Dave