[time-nuts] Getting a 5370A tomorrow - How do i test it works

Ed Palmer ed_palmer at sasktel.net
Wed Aug 28 18:11:57 UTC 2013

If you haven't already done so, download the manual - there are multiple
copies on the net - and run through the Operation Verification Tests in
Table 4-1.  All you need for that is a BNC cable.  If it passes those
tests you can be reasonably sure that everything is alive.

Next, I suggest running a noise floor test.  Take the signal from any
decent oscillator and route it to the Start input (high impedance) via a
T-connector then through maybe a 3 to 5 meter (length not important)
cable to the Stop input (50 ohm).  You could also use a splitter and
unequal cable lengths to the Start and Stop inputs (both 50 ohms).
Measure the time from Start to Stop.  Collect the data via GPIB if
possible and see what the ADEV curve looks like by using something like
TimeLab, Plotter, or Stable32.  I can't find any 5370A results on the
net, but they should be similar to the 5370B results shown here:

http://www.febo.com/pages/hp5370b/

Ed