[time-nuts] de Witte's Experiment

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 28 18:27:41 UTC 2013

On 8/28/13 9:00 AM, Steven Kluck wrote:
> It might appear that the
> Torr-Kolen Experiment, which had similar results to de Witte, had similar temperature compensation and control problems.  I think it
> would be interesting to run for a year with an east-west coax run, and a separate north-south coax.  And just for fun, record temperature at
> several locations along the length.  And, if that's not enough fun, characterize the effects of temperature change upon the cable...
> _

This kind of thing has essentially been done at Deep Space Network,
where they have precision timing signals run on optical fiber (and
probably Coax too) between all the antennas.

VLA probably has the same.

I guess your real question is whether they have an atomic clock at both
ends of the link?

Well, they certainly do array observing of pulsars and VLBI of such things.