[time-nuts] Getting a 5370A tomorrow - How do i test it works

cfo xnews3 at luna.dyndns.dk
Thu Aug 29 14:11:11 UTC 2013

On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 00:02:30 +0200, Frank Stellmach wrote:

> Bingo,
>
> welcome on time-nuts, also!
>
> Follow the manual,  the first basic test is simply connecting the
> reference output on the rear to the input and measuring frequency and
> T.I. This lets you test function and base noise level (35ps)hat.
>
> If this test passess, the machine is running well in first instance.
>
> Max. input level is specified in the manual, 10:1 divder provided, so
> nothing critical.. RTFM , sorry!
>
> Then I'd inspect the interior, which oscillator is mounted.
> Think of buying an OCXO, 10811, if you find the simple XO - it's already
> more fun.
>
> Frank

Hello Frank et. all

I just got the unit Serial: 2024Axxxxx , so i suppose it's a 1980/W24
made in America.

A nice surprise is the installed 10544A OCXO :-)
The 10544A says "Use insulated tunings tool only" , i don't have a
plastic or ceramic screwdriver ... Is the message because the "house and
the inside has different levels" , or is only because the OCXO will
"jump" when i retract the screwdriver ?. I might have a screwdriver with
plastic on the shaft.

For a 1980 unit it's surprisingly clean inside , it must have been in a
lab or so.

Now i'll check the voltage selector , put the lid back on , and do the
tests from the manual.

More to follow.

CFO