[time-nuts] OT : different Rx and Tx baud rate on same port

Paul Alfille paul.alfille at gmail.com
Sat Dec 7 21:59:29 UTC 2013

An alternative to writing your own software is using 'socat' which can
interface between a tcp port and serial port (perhaps using a raspberry pi
or the like as the interface). It apparently has settings for separate
ispeed and ospeed. Its competitor, ser2net, doesn't seem to have that
ability.

This way you can create a virtual serial port with the baud rate details
hidden.

As for whether all this would work on current hardware -- I haven't tested
because I haven't had reason to try, nor the hardware to test it on. I can
tell you, as I noted above, that changing baud rates on the fly works, even
with telnet connections using RFC2217 commands, since I use that with
1-wire work. The only problems were some of the stranger settings, like
6-bit words.

Paul Alfille