[time-nuts] Is this measurement for real?

quartz55 quartz55 at hughes.net
Sat Dec 7 23:36:52 UTC 2013

Well, Bill, I just don't know.  I think that's why I asked.  However, I did measure it again over 2.5 hrs and I got a roughly 500uHz drift pretty much all in one direction.  I'm wondering if this is telling me I'm cabable of measuring 1mHz with some amount of success, I realize I will have to keep repeating this to see what happens in the long term.  I've never tried to measure these small increments before and was wondering if others have had success doing this or am I chasing a rabbit down a hole?  I did try using the WSPR software to measure freqs and that seemed to be all over the place, plus there's no way to record it over time except manually.

I tried recording the WWV 500/600 Hz AM audio freqs with Speclab and it's so noisy it's hard to get a good plot, but from looking at the plots I did make it seems to be in the range of 20mHz variation, but pretty much centered on the freqs.

I also measured some AM stations and I had drifts of 56 mHz for a 1030 KHz station, and I have measured the DSP drift as around 14 mHz.  Do the AM stations really drift around that much?  I thought they were pretty stable.  When I measure the service monitor locked to the Rb, I get much less drifts than actual stations, like I said, around 15 mHz and that seems to relate to the fan in the TS2000 going on and off.

Dave
N3DT