[time-nuts] Simulation of oscillator noise

Attila Kinali attila at kinali.ch
Sun Dec 8 11:04:09 UTC 2013

Servus Wolfgang,

On Sat, 30 Nov 2013 10:32:42 +0100
Wolfgang Wallner <wolfgang-wallner at gmx.at> wrote:

> At my institute (TU Vienna, Computer Engineering) there has been a
> bachelor thesis which dealt with simulation of IEEE 1588 in OMNeT++ (a
> discrete event simulator).
> But the assumptions where rather simple (both of the clock model and the
> implemented version of IEEE 1588).
>
> For my master thesis I would like to enhance both aspects.
> I would like to do a full implementation of IEEE 1588 and to use a more
> realistic clock model.

I think you could easily do a PhD on this topic alone.
Thus I would highly recommend to focus on one aspect only
for your master thesis.

For simplicity, i'd first use some numbers on a good OCXO. These are
much better specified and measured than the cheaper ones. E.g. you can
use the Oscilloquartz 8607 as reference. If what data is freely available
online is not enough for you, try contacting the manufacturer. They always
have better data available, but do not publish it (don't ask me why).
But still, they are usually quite generous with handing this data out
for specific projects.

Using a good oscillator will also give you a chance to verify your
model. It should still be close to what the simulation with an ideal
oscillator. Check for any deviation and try to explain it from the model.
If you cannot explain it, it might be a simulation artefact.

>From there, you can then start to degrade the oscillator model until
it matches those of the oscillators you actually want to study.

			Attila Kinali

--
1.) Write everything down.
2.) Reduce to the essential.