[time-nuts] Is this measurement for real?

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Sun Dec 8 22:53:15 UTC 2013

I missed the start of this thread but it you need it many computer audio
interfaces can be run off an external clock.  It is really common to do
this in a studio setup.

You think "does it matter?  Can humans hear a 10ppm difference in pitch?"
 No but if you make two recordings each using a different clock then the
error is cumulative and you might get a phase error near the end.  So most
audio interface have a clock input.  Even my cheap $200 Presonus unit will
take a clock input via it's fiber optic s/pdiff input.   I still doubt it
matters much for normal recording studio work.

On Sun, Dec 8, 2013 at 12:12 PM, Hal Murray <hmurray at megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> > Well, the question is do you think that is good or bad for the sound
> card ?
>
> Low cost crystals make reasonable thermometers.  Ballpark is 1 PPM/C.
>
> If your system has a good ntp setup, you can use it to measure the actual
> sound card clock.  With luck (or skill) you can track that over time and
> compare it with temperature.  It will probably help to get the temperature
> probe right on the crystal rather than someplace nearby.
>

> --
> These are my opinions.  I hate spam.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California