[time-nuts] temperature

Tom Van Baak tvb at LeapSecond.com
Mon Dec 9 15:11:14 UTC 2013

> Any pointers re suitable instruments to accomplish this that can be sourced via the usual surplus sources would be welcome.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Mark Spencer

Hi Mark,

Here's a list of the thermometers I use:

- Vintage hp 2804. Still my favorite, high-resolution thermometer. I use it in GPIB talk-only mode with a NI GPIB-serial converter. Absolute calibration is probably off, but I'm more interested in temperature stability.

- HMP 230 (www.vaisala.com). Expensive new but occasionally very cheap on eBay. Superb, high-resolution temperature and hygrometer. Very nice command set.

- TempTrax model F (www.sensatronics.com). Cheap and easy to use. You send it a 'T' and it replies with temperature(s). Now obsolete; replaced by professional, expensive model E.

- Sparkfun USB weather board (https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10586). The design changes now and then. Gives temperature, humidity, and pressure every second over USB (virtual com port).

- 4-chan DS1820 temperature (http://www.ebay.com/itm/220920837443). A simple design that's very convenient to use. Older models were serial, newer ones USB. Plug it in and it talks. No software required.

- Stanford Research Systems SR630 16-channel Thermocouple Monitor (www.thinksrs.com). Nice if you have lots of points to measure, and collect data over time.

In general, regardless of the device, I log all raw data from native serial (or USB virtual serial) ports, prefixing every line with a MJD timestamp. That way I can correlate environmental measurements with clock measurements.

/tvb