[time-nuts] Shortt Clock Recent Measurements

Tom Harris celephicus at gmail.com
Fri Dec 13 00:28:06 UTC 2013

The eccentric English physicist Boys made quartz fibres by attaching one
end to a crossbow bolt, heating the middle and then firing the bolt, at
what I have been unable to determine. He used this to measure the
gravitational constant by suspending iron spheres from the resultant fibre,
which of course was amazingly strong for it's diameter.

Myself I'd use a pneumatic cannon, since I have one, rather than a crossbow.

Tom Harris <celephicus at gmail.com>