[time-nuts] FE 5650A Question

EWKehren at aol.com EWKehren at aol.com
Fri Dec 27 18:28:16 UTC 2013

There are many versions of the FE 5650A just like the FE 5680.  Recently we
got a few FE 5650A option CPOM that internally are fairly  similar to a FE
5680A. It also uses an AD9832A  DDS and is 15 MHz but by  changing 3 jumpers
divides the 60 MHz by 6 instead of 4. Output is a nice  sinewave. Control
is TTL not RS level. But protocol seems identical and as you  can see in the
attached are able to change frequency.  It is also obvious that the AD9832A
is in the loop because if you  increase or decrease the tuning word
excessively the Rb goes out of lock  just like the FE 5680A. C field tuning is not
brought out . The FE 5680 looks  like a costreduction version of this 5650A
going from five PC boards to one.  What is different how ever is the
magnitude of the tuning word attached is a  comparison of the 5680 and this 5650
tuning word five orders of magnitude and I  am convinced that there is no more
resolution than with the 5680.
Does any one have any information on this particular  unit?
Bert Kehren  Miami