[time-nuts] sysclock source for AD9912 DDS?

Grant Hodgson grant at ghengineering.co.uk
Mon Dec 30 20:53:53 UTC 2013

Anders

I've used the AD9912 Eval board with great success - spurs with the
on-chip clock multiplier were >-60dBc, IIRC, maybe better.

My guess is that you are pushing the on-chip VCO too high - do you
really need a 1200MHz system clock?  The AD9912 is only specified for a
sys. clock of 1000MHz, and the on-chip VCO is also only specified to
1000MHz - yes, I know that the Eval software allows other values, but
the VCO actually has quite a narrow frequency range (10%) in order to
improve phase noise, and uses switchable on-chip inductors to select the
correct output frequency range, the highest being 900-1000MHz.  I'd be
surprised if it locks at 1200MHz.

First thing is to try a 1000MHz clock.

regards
Grant Hodgson