[time-nuts] sysclock source for AD9912 DDS?

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 31 16:55:04 UTC 2013

On 12/31/13 8:07 AM, Anders Wallin wrote:

> Could the remaining -60 dBc spurs at +/- 50 kHz be due to my 10MHz clock
> source, an Agilent 33120A?

Yes the spurs could be from your source. that's a function generator/ARB
and spectral purity isn't one of the big design criteria for that kind
of device.

The spec sheet says spurious non-harmonic signals are supposed to be
down -65dBc + 6dB/octave above 1 MHz.

http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/5968-0125EN.pdf

I don't know all the gory details of how the 33120 works inside (though
I've got 3 or 4 of them in my lab at work), but in general, it has a DDS
running at 40MHz that clocks samples out of a waveform table to a 12 bit
DAC. The output from the DAC is run through some analog circuitry for
doing AM and setting offsets and levels.

http://cp.literature.agilent.com/litweb/pdf/33120-90017.pdf

50 kHz is somewhat suspicious.. do you have any switching power supplies
at that rate around?  It doesn't take much noise added to a sine wave
running into a comparator to create spurs.  I've had that problem with
leakage of a 66MHz processor clock into a 50 MHz sampling clock.