[time-nuts] Low noise power supplies?

Max Robinson max at maxsmusicplace.com
Fri Feb 1 04:12:42 UTC 2013

You haven't seen it used because it doesn't work very well.  It appeared in
a few pieces of Heathkit equipment but I don't think HP or Tek used it at
all.  Any AC component of base to collector voltage has a small but definite
effect on Vbe which transfers voltage in the reverse direction from
collector to emitter even though the base is held at AC ground.  A three
terminal regulator does a better job of suppressing ripple from a power
supply.

Regulators use a zener diode as the reference and there are circuits in
which a zener is used as a noise source.  What does that tell you?  The
quietest power supply is an analog regulator followed by one or more RC
filter sections.  The inductor in an LC filter is likely to pick up more hum
and noise than it filters out.  My presumption is that a low noise power
supply is likely to be providing a small amount of power to the load and
load regulation is probably not a problem.

Regards.

Max.  K 4 O DS.

Email: max at maxsmusicplace.com

Transistor site http://www.funwithtransistors.net
Vacuum tube site: http://www.funwithtubes.net
Woodworking site
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/Woodworking/wwindex.html

To subscribe to the fun with transistors group send an email to.
funwithtransistors-subscribe at yahoogroups.com

funwithtubes-subscribe at yahoogroups.com

To subscribe to the fun with wood group send a blank email to
funwithwood-subscribe at yahoogroups.com