[time-nuts] Low noise power supplies?

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Fri Feb 1 09:30:24 UTC 2013

> Are 4 and 5 regulated? Or is the zener picked to compensate for the VBE
> drops?
>
> Any of these circuits where the output transistor is in an emitter
> follower configuration will have its noise effected by the load current,
> since that current directly effects the output transistor
transconductance.

The load in all cases was a couple hundred mA worth of resistance at the
voltage in question, as I recall.  It's been a few years since I captured
these plots.

The Zeners were just whatever parts came to hand, 1N474x parts basically.  I
didn't care about the 1.4V drop across the Darlington, just the resulting
noise.

-- john
Miles Design LLC