[time-nuts] GPS at 60,000 feet

Dan Kemppainen dan at irtelemetrics.com
Fri Feb 1 13:27:21 UTC 2013

I was just surprised it locked at that speed. I figured a handheld unit would not be able to lock at that speed. Looking back on it now, it makes sense it shouldn't have too much trouble. (Once I learned it worked I started to ask about the GPS more. If you ask politely, a lot of times they will let you turn on stuff once at altitude, which is great fun!)

Now you have me thinking. Anyone know what the Garmin GPSMAP60CS and GPSMAP62ST use for gps chip sets? (For some reason I just can't bring myself to pull the covers off!)

Dan