[time-nuts] Z3805A & GPS replacement

"Pierre-François (f5bqp_pfm)" pfmonet at wanadoo.fr
Wed Feb 6 08:20:49 UTC 2013

Hi the Timing-Gang,

I got very recently a Z3805A GPSDO six channels coming from China from
one of the most serious Chinese shop on The Bay ... :-D :-D :-D
It's a six channels GPS unit and I would like to upgrade it by myself
with a 12 channels using a Jupiter GPS module or Motorola ones I believe
12 channels and I have on hands.
I've tried to replace the original GPS module with the Jupiter, the unit
boots up and after a minute I got an alarm (red led on continuously).
So my interrogation is the following:
Does the alarm arrives because the firmware checks the type of GPS module?
Does the alarm arrives because the Jupiter doesn't talk the Motorola bin
language? (if I remember the Jupiter can be set in the two modes
Motorola or NMEA talk).
Any other reason concerning this alarm?
If the firmware is different for each type of GPS module then can
someone here in the Gang tried to replace the GPS successfully modifying
or replacing this firmware?
I really would like to have more than the six basic channels as I have
several GPS modules with more channels.

Also does anyone of you have the Z3805A manual? I'm searching for it.

Bests 73's to all of you.

--
Pierre-Francois, F5BQP