[time-nuts] Nifty "MINI TIC" for DMTD

Robert Darlington rdarlington at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 00:15:15 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 4:02 PM, Don Latham <djl at montana.com> wrote:

> through hole forever :-)
> Don of the old hands and blurred vision :-)
>
> ewkehren

I grew out of thru-hole about 10 years ago.  My nearly 40 year old eyes
have trouble reading the numbers on 0603 parts for the past few years, but
it's amazingly easy under a stereo microscope.  Much faster to stuff boards
with surface mount parts since I don't need to keep flipping them over and
cutting leads.  Even folks with very shaky hands can solder up tiny surface
mount parts.  The brain is an amazing PID controller.  Using a microscope
at 30x means your hands shake at about 1/30th of what they did before.

-Bob