[time-nuts] Nifty "MINI TIC" for DMTD

Don Latham djl at montana.com
Fri Feb 8 19:34:53 UTC 2013

Actually, yes. I also have two USB microscopes, and even some rohs
solder and stuff. I just find it's easier to find thru hole stuff when
it falls on the floor.
Everything wants to go to the lowest potential energy...
Don

Volker Esper

> I bought a stereo microscope some days before and I agree with Bob. I
> keep building non-RF projects the classical way (through hole) but if it
> comes to radio frequency I prefer SMD since high frequency is easier to
> handle. Can you tinker with the idea of buying a stereo microscope? It's
> absolute fun to easily solder those miniature parts!
>
> Volker - DF9PL
>

> Am 08.02.2013 01:15, schrieb Robert Darlington:
>> On Thu, Feb 7, 2013 at 4:02 PM, Don Latham<djl at montana.com>  wrote:
>>

>>> through hole forever :-)
>>> Don of the old hands and blurred vision :-)
>>>
>>> ewkehren
>>>

>> I grew out of thru-hole about 10 years ago.  My nearly 40 year old
>> eyes
>> have trouble reading the numbers on 0603 parts for the past few years,
>> but
>> it's amazingly easy under a stereo microscope.  Much faster to stuff
>> boards
>> with surface mount parts since I don't need to keep flipping them over
>> and
>> cutting leads.  Even folks with very shaky hands can solder up tiny
>> surface
>> mount parts.  The brain is an amazing PID controller.  Using a
>> microscope
>> at 30x means your hands shake at about 1/30th of what they did before.
>>
>> -Bob
>> and follow the instructions there.

"Neither the voice of authority nor the weight of reason and argument
are as significant as experiment, for thence comes quiet to the mind."
De Erroribus Medicorum, R. Bacon, 13th century.
"If you don't know what it is, don't poke it."
Ghost in the Shell

Dr. Don Latham AJ7LL
Six Mile Systems LLP
17850 Six Mile Road