[time-nuts] Embedded NTP server ideas and feature requests

David J Taylor david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Feb 10 06:57:47 UTC 2013

From: Michael Tharp

Greetings time-nuts,

I've finally gotten the software for my NTP server project to the point
where I'm comfortable shipping the boards I have now, so it's about time
to spin the next revision. If you could take a minute to look over the
feature list and let me know on- or off-list what you'd like to see,
hardware or software, I'd really appreciate it.
[]
Happy ticking,
-- m. tharp

Michael,

This looks to be a delightful little box, and I hope to be buying one in due
course.

Suggestions and questions:

- NTP management: can this device be managed with the normal NTP commands?
I would like to see it responding to at least "ntpq -p" and "ntpq -c rv"
commands.  The ntpq -p should show whether the device is locked to the GPS
or not.

- ideally, NTP log files should be available over FTP (FTP to allow remote
purging of older files).

- some way of determining the satellite status (number and signal level)
over the 'net would be helpful.

- how well would the device perform during a GPS signal interruption?  Is
the 10 MHz lock used to time NTP, and held over for a certain period?

- although I've never used it, I do like Chris's suggestion of power over
Ethernet.  I see dozens of choices in Amazon's lists - is there a standard
for the power adapter and level?

A ready to go item with patch antenna would suit my needs - likely it would
be placed in the loft rather than outdoors.  Having 10 MHz available would
be very useful as well.

I think that's enough to be getting on with!

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor at blueyonder.co.uk