[time-nuts] Possibly off topic - Jitter on Ethernet over power adapters

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 00:03:30 UTC 2013

On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 3:49 PM, David <davidwhess at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 12:44:57 -0600, "Bill Hawkins" <bill at iaxs.net>
> wrote:
>
>>Rob,
>>
>>One of the common characteristics of power lines is noise.
>>
>>Seems to me that bursts of noise could interrupt the Ethernet signal,
>>causing retries of the transmission.

It is unlikely to add much noise.  The PoE device only puts a DC bias
on the twisted pair.  The data signal is differential.   It is
transformer couple to is pretty much is immune to common mode noise.
So even iif the DC bias was noisy I don't thing it would matter.
--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California